Another Hobby Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

SET yarn success and failure

So I had in mind to dye the yarn for my Sock Exchange Thingie recipient. I picked up some lovely soft wool from the sale bin of my local yarn store, dyed four of the five balls in a space-dyed pattern of blue, green, and purple, and dyed the last ball a more-or-less solid color to co-ordinate.



Four of the five soft, lovely balls are 100% wool. They are unbelievably dreamy-soft, fabulous, and took the colors just as I'd dreamed.

The remaining ball, by some amazingly unkind demonic practical joke IS NOT!
By some amazing stroke of Celestial Kindness, however, the Half-ACRYLIC!!! (grumblegrumblegrumbleGNASH!) skein ended up in the co-ordinating bath. (I hate Anny Blatt's yarn labels!) This means that if I can somehow find another ball of it, I can dye up an appropriate co-ordinate. (Imagine my horror if the single Half-ACRYLIC ball had ended up in the space-dyed batch!!! OH, the pain!!)

So, later this week I will be attempting to find another ball or two of the proper yarn to make the co-ordinating color. Argh. I can't expect to find it at the yarn store I bought the first balls from because I found them in the inventory reduction sale bin. Fortunately, there are several other yarn stores in my driving range. With luck, at least one of them will have the yarn that I want. If not, then I'll have to come up with a back-up plan.

But enough with the grumbling, already! The space-dyed yarn turned out just lovely!! A little glitchiness in the dye (some undissolved dye left a few dark spots here and there), but overall a resounding success.

1 Comments:

  • At Tue Sep 13, 11:13:00 PM PDT, Blogger laurie said…

    wowwwwwwww....that one ball might not have cooperated as you wanted, but it all looks lovely to me *big grin*

    if you want me to take a peek for the yarn at my lys let me know...won't hurt me to help out if i can...and it looks like the guys do have some anny blatt yarn (i'd just need to know if possible which yarn it is/was lol)

    mine...that prettiness is mine...my precioussssssss *rubs hands gleefully a la gollum* ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home