Another Hobby Blog

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Sockapaloooza: Don't Get Too Excited....

...the heel flap is coming back out.

Several problems with the heel flap.. maybe it doesn't look too wrong to you, but it's annoying me to no end!



I *LOVE* the way the large hearts continue down the heel flap. :)
...but one large heart was too short
...and two large hearts is too long.
...so I have to rework the pattern a bit to give me one large heart plus a small one? or something.



I *love* the 1x1 checkerboard on the heel turn BUT...
...it works up at a different gauge, and spreads the heel too wide. :I
...I will try reworking the heel turn again with a 2x2 checkerboard instead... but...
........I worry that I may possibly need to diminsh the number of stitches in the heel flap to keep the heel from getting too wide. I'm hoping not because that would be a lot of lost work, but... I'd like to have socks that actually fit right at the end of it!



I've got a back-up pair of socks on the needles. I'm not sure they're much to crow about.. a simple ribbed cuff, stockinette stitch basic sock (my favorite sock pattern ever, it seems) from Trekking XXL 03 I had in stash. Because there is nothing special about them, I can take them anywhere with me and work on them when working on the colorwork socks would be difficult if not impossible. (like dark movie theaters.) Which means I can just about guarantee that the Trekking socks will get finished on time even if the colorwork ones don't. ... Should I get both pair finished, though, I'll be able to keep the Trekking socks for myself! :)

This "spare set of socks on needles" thing may also be my self-reassurance that I really do know how to knit a pair of socks! ... when I spent too much time reading Dostoyevski and Kirkegaard "for fun" I felt REALLY dumb. .. then I read Harry Potter and was much reassured that I could actually read. This pair of back-up socks feels eerily similar!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home