Another Hobby Blog

Friday, January 27, 2006

New Challenges...

As if I didn't have enough on my schedule!

I've decided to join the Olympics. Not sufficiently proficient in ice-skating, I have joined Yarn Harlot's Knitting Olympics.



I will be competing in the

division.

The rule is to cast on during the Opening Ceremonies on February 10, 2006, and to be Completely Finished (including blocking as necessary) by the Closing Ceremonies on February 26.

I did myself one favor: I committed to finish a project that already has a deadline. The NWRSA project. During the 16 days of the Olympics, I will be turning my Merino-Silk-Martian Lake Cow handspun yarn into a lovely lace shawl. (The real project deadline for the NWRSA project is the end of May, so assuming that I do complete it during the Olympics, I'll be ahead of schedule for once!! Yay! Real Gold Medal time!!!)

There is a problem with this assumption. Actually, there are several problems with this assumption.

1. I don't know what pattern I will be using.
1a. This means the pattern I will be using is unswatched, unmemorized, and unrealistic.
Stupid Idea #1: I am actually considering just casting on the yarn and making up the lace pattern as I knit.
(Yes, I have knit lace before. Twice, I think. One of those projects is still on the needles, so I'm not sure I can really count it. (the Mystery Stole))

2. I haven't completed spinning the yarn yet.
2b. This means the yarn I will be using is unswatched, unmeasurable, and unbelievably overdue.
The good news: completing the spinning of the yarn counts as Olympic Training.

3. My available knitting time during that sixteen day period will be impacted by travel.

What AM I thinking???!!

As if that weren't sufficient insanity for the New Year (Year of the Dog starts in two days!!!), I've concurrently signed up for



I will get my assignment on February 1 and be committed to putting my finished socks into the mail not later than May 2! .. At least I've knit socks before and have an idea what I'm in for. ;)

And speaking of Year of the Dog! I took part in My Lil Mochi's


I designed and created a postcard for the Chinese New Year (Year of the Dog) and sent the postcard to 10 addresses. In return, I will be getting 10 fabulous postcards from other participants! (Plus, Bethieee did the swap, too, so I get to see 20 fabulous handmade postcards arrive at my doorstep!)

I got the postcards in the mail yesterday. Two days before deadline! Whee!!

Plus, I'm having tons of fun taking part in the

exchange!

I really enjoyed SP5 (Thanks, ROX!) and SP6, and now I'm in it again!


Well, now that you know what I'm up to, I'm off to spin more Mountain Lake Cow! Hugs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home