Another Hobby Blog

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Knee Injury: Update- MRI: Results

There are so many things I want to write about this week.. but it's important to put them in order of priority.

For those who have been waiting anxiously for these results, please forgive me the delay. In estimating when I would be able to post, I had forgotten to budget the time I would need to call family and friends directly and to talk to some of them (the ones that answered the phone).

There is good news and not-so-good news and good news and not-so-good news aplenty to go around.

1- I am *NOT* a wimp!!! :) I am so totally not a wimp.
2- I might well be a whiner, but it's pretty justified.
3- Pain and I have a very odd relationship.
For example- I know I'm in pain when I start feeling irritable at people for things I usually find endearing- like the way my husband kisses my forehead and tells me he loves me. :)
4- I have learned my lesson and next time I will be a much more open to immediate help and advisement and the seeking of professional opinions.
5- It is possible to have fun at a sci-fi convention even if you can't dance.
-...or even walk.
6- Heat and Ice and Rest and Elevation will not mend a blown-out ligament.

Evidentally, I have completely destroyed my Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL). I haven't figured out how to get the MRI pictures onto my computer yet, so images will need to wait. It's kinda hard to tell how to read them anyway. When I get them onto my computer, though, I'll share.

Completely destroyed. "Fully ruptured" is how he described it. "Couldn't have done worse to that ligament, really" is another turn of phrase I believe came up.

I have two choices: Reconstructive surgery or adapt to a sedentary life.

Surgery it is, then.

Fortunately, it's a pretty reliable, high-success-rate procedure. I can probably ask to be completely under while they work.

I should be able to start putting weight on it the day after surgery, and fully healed about 4 months after that. "put you back on the slopes for next ski season," he said.

It's not an emergency-state injury, though, so it may take a while before I'm scheduled. In the meantime, it's adapting to the current state of limited mobility and the constant pain, discomfort, and instability.

My basic, immediate feelings: Relief, Pride, Courage, Curiosity, Adventure.

I'm not a total whiner. I'm not a wimp! :) ... My sensei was apparently right years ago when he said: "She has courage, but no common sense. Be careful with her."

Again: THANK YOU!! A big HUGE thank you to everyone who asked questions about the healing rate, encouraged me to get a new diagnosis, and has supported me throughout this adventure. I simply can't thank you enough.

Hugs!

6 Comments:

  • At Tue Apr 18, 02:22:00 AM PDT, Blogger laurie said…

    attagirl...we knew you weren't a wimp/whiner...and now you know it too ;o)

    good to hear you had a nice time despite limitations!

    thanks for the update :o) long email coming your way soon promise

    hugs :o)

    (good grief...whattheheck am i doing up this late? lol)

     
  • At Tue Apr 18, 03:41:00 AM PDT, Blogger Laura said…

    Thank you for the update. I agree with Laurie - you are certainly not a wimp or a whiner! I hope you get scheduled for surgery soon.

    Sending hugs across the Atlantic!

    Laura xxx

     
  • At Tue Apr 18, 06:38:00 AM PDT, Blogger Heide said…

    I'm glad to hear that you're repairable! I hope the surgery comes up soon and that recovery is swift.

     
  • At Tue Apr 18, 10:47:00 AM PDT, Blogger Sarah said…

    Well, hooray, kind of. Good that you can be fixed, but boo that it requires extended recovery. You tough-as-nails types should heed your inner wimp a bit more often.

    Nu? Good? Yes, good.

    And look at you, with actual blog posts - I'm such a slacker. Add to list: post something, for G-d's sake.

    Sarah (and slobbery baby kisses from Adam)

     
  • At Wed Apr 19, 06:09:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No wonder why you've been in such pain. Nope, you certainly aren't a wimp. Isn't it sad that we even think about wimpness when we have pain.

     
  • At Wed Apr 19, 11:52:00 AM PDT, Blogger Peacock said…

    Oh, yes, definitely. Very very very sad, really.

    I am feeling a lot more pain now that I know what is wrong, actually... The pain was there before, but I was ignoring it quite successfully. The diagnosis seems to have given me permission to really listen to it, really feel it.

    Today: melancholy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home