Another Hobby Blog

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

SET socks finished!

As for my outgoing socks, I've finally finished!!! One day past the (extended) deadline (and of course I still need to put them into the mail), but they are done! Finished! Complete!!

And I LOVE them!!!

I reallyreallyreally hope they fit Laurie comfortably! This is the first pair of socks I have made for someone who was not perpetually available to try them on throughout the knitting!

They are knee-high-ish, with all the shaping done at the center back. The yarn is Cascade 220 (be careful when washing them or they might felt!)
For the primary color I space-dyed some (white) skeins especially for this project in a lovely combination of Lanaset blue, green, and purple, and then I paired the resulting watery colors with a contrast of Cascade 220 in Charcoal.
I worked them on size 5's throughout.

I did, eventually, master the two-socks-on-two-circulars method, but not until after I'd completed the cuff (before then it was too short and I could not keep the needles untangled!) And I did take them back onto separate needles to work the heels (flap and gusset).

There is a row of eyelets at the bottom of the cuff through which an I-cord is run and tied into a bow. The I-cord can serve as a garter to help keep the socks in place if desired, or can simply be a decorative touch if prefered. (For the I-cord I used a grey sock yarn from stash, knitted up on a fabulous little I-cord tool.)

4 Comments:

  • At Tue Nov 22, 08:32:00 PM PST, Blogger laurie said…

    ahhh they're lovely! you sure you want to give them up? ;-) (yeah yeah i know...they won't fit you...but you could always reclaim the yarn and reknit them for yourself......)

    am torn between telling you to take your time sending them cuz of it being a busy time of year and wanting them NOW *grin*

    just hope i can get a decent pic of them to show you...

    somehow i don't think i'm ever going to be able to say thank you enough!

    glad the finger is doing better, and i hope working on the socks didn't aggravate it (or anything else for that matter)

    hugs!

     
  • At Wed Nov 23, 05:53:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gorgeous!! Love the black heels and toe - great job Chickie!

     
  • At Wed Nov 23, 07:20:00 PM PST, Blogger Peacock said…

    Thank you, Rox! I'm glad I did the exchange. It was a lot of fun!

    ...

    I must admit, keeping the socks has been VERY tempting sometimes!!! But HAH! I was able to get each sock from one skein of Cascade (plus contrast color), and I dyed extra! Which means: I could have my own pair too, without stealing yours!! We could match! (grin)

    I am planning to get them into the mail on Saturday, just after Thanksgiving. I don't want them getting lost in the huge Holiday onslaught at the post office, nor do I want your toes to freeze or winter to be over before they get there!

    I was fortunate on the knitting front--the slice in my finger was above the point that the yarn rides when I tension it, so I was able to keep knitting throughout. It slowed me down because it was (for the first few days) pretty painful to move it, but it is doing much much better now, and I'm sure it will heal up very nicely.

     
  • At Wed Nov 30, 01:39:00 PM PST, Blogger Bethieee said…

    they're gorgeous... I wanted to keep them too!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home