Another Hobby Blog

Monday, January 02, 2006

How Much Yarn?

How much yarn do you think it takes to get through a day at Disneyland durying the holiday season of Disneyland's 50th anniversary? A project? Two, maybe?

We got up early to get to Disneyland before it opened. Nonetheless, Traffic was horrid. Los Angeles rush hour must start about 5am.

At the Disneyland gates, they had security teams doing bag checks. Compliantly, we opened our many bags for inspection:



How embarrassed can I be?!
As the security agent asked me to open each new bag, Even MORE Knitting spilled out!
Six skeins of Cascade 220! A partially worked scarf and the skein of Lorna's Lace sport yarn to finish it. Size 4, 5, 6, and 10-1/2 needles in both double-point and circular styles.

And that's only the stuff that *I* brought! Bethieee had at least as much yarn as I did! Too much knitting. I'm horrified.

What was I thinking?

Not only have I brought enough knitting to fill a week's worth of knitting hours, I've exposed my obsession to a scrutinizing audience. I'm flushed as bright red as if I were carrying contraband. I'm stammering in embarrassment and guiltily trying to zip my bags closed again before anyone else can see what I've got. The security guard eyes me icily, questioning my sanity. When I finally smile at him sheepishly, he waves me through, shaking his head sadly.

For those of you who have never been to Disneyland, or have somehow managed to visit only in the off-season, this is what the crowd looked like at the opening gates:



Keep in mind that these are only the people who, like us, got up early enough to be at the gates before the park opened. This doesn't include any of the people who got caught in traffic or slept in late.

We arrived at the park at 7:00am, and left the park a little after 7:00pm. Net gain for the day: 3 rides on Space Mountain, 1 ride on Indiana Jones, 1 ride on Pirates of the Carribean. Also, 2 mittens, 4 mitten cuffs, 1 ribbed hat, and 2/3 of a scarf.











By the end of the day we'd used every single ball of yarn we'd brought with. I'd finished knitting the mittens we would be relying upon to keep our hands from freezing in Madison, and all that remained was to felt them. I'd finished my father's hat in time for our holiday visit the next day, and I'd made substantial progress on Keithr's scarf. Maybe I'd even get lucky enough to finish it before Christmas day present exchange at Kat's house.

Dignity restored, I felt smug again. We hadn't over-estimated our yarn needs after all. The world is aright once more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home