Another Hobby Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Which Brings Me To the Present(s)

I want to take a moment to thank everyone for the kind and thoughtful comments, e-mails, cards, gifts, phonecalls, baked goods, etc! There are truly too many to list them all! so I'll focus on the things that I can take pictures of that are fiber related. :)

From my Ornamental gifter: (no picture yet)
I'm still checking my maibox every day. I know that the box made its way to Wisconsin, where it took an extra week to see the sights before continuing its journey. It is currently in the mail. I have a tracking number. It should arrive this week. (I'm still very very excited to see it!)

From Laura:
Wild Color

Thank you!! I started to pick up this book for myself about three months ago, but Bethieee told me she thought for certain she'd seen it in my collection already, so I put it back down. She turned out to have been mistaken, and I have tried to reach for the book several times and found my bookshelf still empty. Now it's here!!! What a perfect choice!! I will be reaching for it often when spring comes along and I feel the urge to start new dyepots again. :)

From Bethieee:
koigu yarn for a peacock tam!

A year or two ago I made my first real attempt at Fair-Isling: a tam for which I designed the colorwork patterning. The subject (what else?) peacocks. I made the tam in Jamieson's Shetland jumperweight yarns in (could the choice have been any worse?) two shades of brown; one a light tan, the other a two-color featuring the same light tan stranded with a dark chocolatey color.

I think I held the opinion that the similarity in color would mask any tension issues I might have with the stranding. I neglected to comprehend that a strong contrast is much of what makes a Fair Isle pattern so striking. Ever since the tam's completion I have been hoping to make a second one in peacock colors on black. It has been surprisingly difficult to find yarn to match this specification within a single brand and I have been beginning to think that I would need to dye my own. This will be perfect!
...and the digicam!! (no picture. Do you comprehend how difficult taking a picture of a digicam with itself can be? ... okay, okay, I could have used a mirror...) Ever since my own digicam went missing in May of 2003 (or thereabout) I have been using Bethieee's camera. Last year she was given a new camera, and this year she passed along her original camera to me!!! yay!!! thank you thank you!

From Bethieee's sister, Kat:
a skein of peacock-colored worsted!

currently residing in the basket of yarns to be dreamed about, fondled, and planned around.

From Bethieee's mother and father:

a fabulous peacock ornament! Keithr suggests I could use it as a tree topper next year!

From Keithr's mother:
the three missing volumes of the Treasury of Knitting Patterns series by Barbara Walker. (I had volume two. Now I'm getting volumes 1, 3, and 4!!) (no picture. Currently on order.)

From Keithr:
a Lendrum double-treadle spinning wheel!!

Actually, he got it for me last April because I didn't want to wait nine months before I could use it. For Christmas we put a bow on it. :) I've already used it more than I've used the Kitchen Aid he got for me last year (but I'm hoping the Kitchen Aid can catch up in February... (g)).

From my brother and his girlfriend:


and from my father:



I am looking forward to much experimentation with all of the above throughout the coming year! Thank you!!

2 Comments:

  • At Wed Jan 11, 03:01:00 AM PST, Blogger Laura said…

    I'm so glad you like the book! Looks like you got loads of great presents this Christmas.

    L x

     
  • At Wed Jan 11, 07:06:00 PM PST, Blogger the stripey tiger said…

    Wow your goodies are fantastic!! I'm so glad you have news of your ornament!! I do hope you like it when it does turn up. I'm very envious to hear that you have a kitchen aid!!! I soo want one of those. All your yarn looks great. Cheers Stripey :-)
    PS my ornament person has bailed - very sad. I was thinking it was karma for not getting yours to you on time. (At least you know I tried! I'm dying to post a pic of it on my blog but will have to wait till you get it so I dont ruin the suprise - lol)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home