Another Hobby Blog

Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Balmy and Humid 80+ Degrees (F)

...is not something you often experience in Seattle, Wa. Neither are the Tradewinds. Or truly fresh pineapple...

Aloha from Hawai'i, island of O'ahu!

Today I take a relaxing moment in the early morning hours to write this post before my husband wakes up. I've been here just long enough to really start forgetting what day it is. I've eaten 3 whole pineapples over the last couple of days, and will probably eat several more before I have to return to the mainland again. I haven't seen any honu yet (sea turtles), but I will keep looking.

We've found the local swing-dance group and they are incredibly warm and friendly people. It's nice to be dancing again now that the knee injury is finally starting to heal properly! It turns out that my still-persistent knee pain may be being caused by a lower back problem. I've got some new physical therapy exercises to focus on my lower back, so let's hope that they do the trick. I am very tired of the chronic pain, even at a low level.

Today I will go to the beach, feel the sand beneath my feet, the waves at my ankles, the sun on my skin. I will sift through the sand for interesting pebbles and will most likely find cigarette butts and bottle caps. I will throw them into the garbage and will ponder whether my responsibility ends at the landfill. What happens to our trash from there? How polluted will we make our planet before we figure out how to clean it up again?

I have been doing a targeted diet and exercize program for the last ten weeks. On day 2 I weighed 160 pounds. I ate an average of 1200 calories a day and walked an average of two miles a day plus did strength exercizes three days a week. On day 70 I weighed.... 160 pounds. I'd like to think that maybe I traded fat weight for muscle weight, but the inches didn't come off either. The diet and exercize made little to no difference. I still bob like a cork when I'm swimming in the waves. I am still too buoyant to linger at the bottom of the lagoon. Today I will eat a slice of chocolate cake for breakfast. I will weigh myself when I get back home again to see whether or not that slice of chocolate cake (etc) makes my weight go up.

I'm out of things to say for now. I'll try to check in again soon.

4 Comments:

  • At Sun Aug 10, 08:11:00 PM PDT, Blogger 'Zann said…

    Whoo-hoo!! You cannot know the excitement I felt when I opened my long-neglected Bloglines to see 2 blog posts at your blog!

    I hurried right over to read doing a major happy dance in my heart.

    I have been walking since April (now about 3-4 miles 4 to 5 mornings a week), tweaked my diet, continuing Tai Chi. Wonderful things are happening to me physically, but the weight is NOT coming off very quickly. I've lost about 6-8 pounds in the 4.5 months.

    I'm placing most importance on how I feel...and that is great!

    big giant hug and love,
    Zann

     
  • At Mon Aug 11, 01:31:00 AM PDT, Blogger indieknits said…

    You're in Hawaii? I'm so jealous!!
    It's raining in London :(

    Have a great time!

     
  • At Mon Aug 11, 01:35:00 AM PDT, Blogger Peacock said…

    It's raining here too.
    ...but it's warmer. Even at midnight. ;)

    I'd be jealous of myself if I could! I'm really enjoying it here.

     
  • At Tue Aug 19, 12:10:00 AM PDT, Blogger Paula said…

    Ahhhhh O'hau and Hawaii!
    I lived there for a short time as a kid and visited as a teen.
    I still miss it so and to this day when I smell the sea, sand, limes, gardinas, pineapples and sunshine and it always takes me back to the best childhood memories in the islands!!!
    I am so glad you are there. Have lots of fun and I hope you forget what week it is too, then you will truly be in heaven!
    Don't forget to chew some sugar cane and breathe deeply around the lime bushes!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home