Another Hobby Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I am very depressed today.

Yesterday, while I was cleaning, my very beloved Peacock stained glass replica fell and broke. It was a gift from my mother. It was a Glassmasters replica of my very favorite Tiffany glass window. It was originally sold at the Museum Store. Museum Store has gone out of business. So has Glassmasters. The peacock window replica is no longer being made. I searched thoroughly online last night, and thought that I had found a replacement, but there was an email today saying the site had already sold out and my order was cancelled.

I feel miserable and selfish for feeling this badly about it. It was just a Thing. It shouldn't matter this much. Especially since other people have lost so much more to the hurricane, the London bombings, the war... but that just makes it feel much much worse. Then I feel petty as well as miserable and selfish.

I also feel like it's my fault that it broke. I shouldn't have had it there. I should have figured out a better way to keep it safe. ... but it was sitting where the sunlight could come through it and it made me so HAPPY to have it there. And now it's broken. And it's broken because I liked it so much.

Please forgive me for not talking about the new roof (it's finished). Or the fact that Oregon Flock and Fiber is coming up this weekend (we're going. I'm excited). I'm really just trying hard not to fall apart completely over a stupid painted piece of glass.

I know it's asking the impossible, but if any of you know where I could get a replacement, please please please let me know. I really miss it.


4 Comments:

  • At Wed Sep 21, 10:05:00 PM PDT, Blogger Wendy said…

    Oh, it was (is?) so beautiful, I am so sorry, and sorry you feel sad, and sad you feel sad about feeling sorry about a Thing (except that it really is more than a thing with so many associated feelings and memories, yes?) and I will keep an eye out for a replacement.

     
  • At Thu Sep 22, 01:27:00 AM PDT, Blogger Laura said…

    Oh no - It was beautiful. I hate it when things like that happen. I will also keep a look out for a replacement. You never know, all these bloggers in all these different parts of the world, we're bound to find something!

    Laura x

     
  • At Sat Oct 01, 01:52:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey sweetie - nothing wrong with feeling sad about a 'thing'. I don't blame you - it is beautiful. Is the picture of it cracked? Can it be repaired?

    Coincidentally - I once broke a stained glass picture that my sister made for me. Well, it fell off the wall - so technically I did not break it. So - I do feel your pain and understand. I actually just hung it back up - the glass has a crack in it but I couldnt bear to lose something that I just cherish so much.

    Besides.... BH&G is not exactly calling me to do a photo spreadshoot or anything. :)

    Lemme know if I can help....

     
  • At Sat Oct 01, 11:12:00 PM PDT, Blogger Peacock said…

    Sadly, the peacock window is only a painted replica of what was originally a leaded stained glass piece. It's one sheet of glass with the image fused on, which means that the fracture you can see in the image is pretty devastating to the piece.
    At the moment I've got it taped on both sides and wrapped in paper to keep it as intact as I can while I figure out what to do next with it.

    On the good news end of things, I was able to find (after much searching and many disappointments) a replacement!! Yay!!! (and, I cannot say this too many times, Thank You Laurie!!)

    Now I just need to figure out how I can display the replacement without endangering it as well...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home