Another Hobby Blog

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Knee Injury: Update-Surgery Planned

Oh! before I forget... I have a date scheduled for my knee surgery: August 17. I'm not sure how long I will be off my feet afterward--we won't know for certain until the surgeon gets a look at the inside of my knee with the arthroscopic tools. Recovery time depends upon how much needs to be mended, and he won't know that for certain until he's inside.

Thank you so much to the generous folk who have sent me sock yarn to knit during my recovery!! I have been hoarding those particular skeins, guarding them quite jealously! They are special skeins endowed with extra love and will help with the healing process quite certainly! Pictures soon! ;)

It's been a while since the knee injury occurred, so I'll quickly cover what happened: I went skiing in February and took an unfortunate fall on the slopes. My left anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) was destroyed completely (as shown in an MRI taken in mid-April), my miniscus was torn, several tendons and muscles were strained, and I got a bone-bruise. The pain was quite intense at the time, and tapered off incredibly slowly. At the moment, the pain is only about a 1 on the 1 to 10 scale, so I'm getting along pretty well (physically speaking) these past 6 or so weeks, but on the other hand, my emotional well-being has been seriously depleted by a horrific string of events culminating in my being deliberately excluded from my best friend's going-away party. (hence the self-portrait image of the broken spindle. .. it's the closest thing I could find to the way I *feel* right now. ... and yes, I can mend the spindle. .. but does anyone have advice on how to mend the broken heart?)

Beth has moved out completely now, taking Zhenya (the dog) with her. She is headed to Virginia for pharmacy school, and the house is quiet. No Beth, no dog. Eerily quiet. .. but also restful.

Fortunately, the friend I stayed with in Portland last week let me bring her bunny home with me to bunny-sit while she travels a bit. Bunny cuddles don't quite make up for a missing friend and a missing dog, but they do ease the transition a bit.

hugs all.. see you again early next week. I have so MUCH to post about! ...and finally starting to feel like I can start posting again.

3 Comments:

  • At Thu Jul 27, 08:09:00 PM PDT, Blogger laurie said…

    oops...nothing like being dense (me) *smacks self*

    wish there were something i could do to help...but then again you already knew that...

    pencilling the surgery date on my calendar so i don't forget

    *mental hugs and good thoughts*

     
  • At Fri Jul 28, 10:41:00 AM PDT, Blogger Mia said…

    **hugs** dear peacock! I hope your surgery goes well and that your knee will be all better. Don't worry about the quiet house - you've got lots of friends in blogland to keep you company!

     
  • At Tue Aug 01, 10:32:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your broken heart will eventually heal as time goes by. My heart has been broken on several occasions. Unfortunately because of this it takes me a little longer to get close to people, but I have been where you are right now. I have cried all of those tears you are shedding and the best advice I can give you is to start caring for yourself. Be proud of who you are and your accomplishments. Have you ever thought about getting a kitten or a puppy? They can fill your heart so quickly in a way that a person can't. You can share everything with them and trust them completely and they will always be there for you. I have found so much pleasure in my three cats and two dogs. Hugs, sP8

     

Post a Comment

<< Home