Another Hobby Blog

Friday, July 21, 2006

As You Can Probably Guess...

...from my lack of posts since last time...
Things failed to go smoothly. I really don't want to get into the details, but as it's 98% of my life right now, it's difficult to post about much else.

Nonetheless, I have been reminded that I have some committments to post at least once a week. Fortunately, the SP8 hostess who sent the reminder, also sent a thoughtful prompt to help me with my quandry: what could I possibly post about right now, given my current circumstances:

So here ya go, get these posted!

1. What is your favorite season of the year and why?
Late spring is my favorite season, when the air is starting to get warm enough to wear short sleeved crop-tops and flowy skirts, but there is still a crisp cool breeze that plays with my hair. The flowers start to bloom, there is frequent light rain, the beaches are not yet crowded, and the neighborhood children are still in school.

2. Summer is hot. What do you knit in the summer?
Summer is a challenge because of the heat and the perspiration. Both knitting and spinning suffer. Silk blends seem impossible to spin as they matt up and stick to my hands. But it's pleasant enough to knit with!

I like bright colors and medium shades as they don't collect as much dirt. I like knitting with cotton in the summer. I seem to be perpetually trying to finish in the summer the "summer top" I started in early spring. This year I started the top in early May, but because of the things that have been going on in my life lately, that project got set aside for awhile, and I am only just now entertaining the notion of picking it back up again. There is always the perpetual pair of socks on the needles, regardless of season. (The particular pair changes, but there is always at least one pair in the works.) ...

As summer progresses, I start to think of the Renaissance Faires and preparations for them. One of the pair of socks on needles is usually for faire, in the hopes that I will complete it in time to wear it this year. So far I have knitted faire socks for Beth and for Keith, but not finished any for myself. Will this year be different?


I also start thinking of what I'd like to enter at the county and/or state fairs. I'm beginning to give up hope that the skein of yarn I wanted to complete will be done in time for this year, but I do have a knitted shawl completed to enter, and possibly another project or two that are already complete or that I can hope to finish in time.

3. If money was no object.....what would you buy at the LYS?
If money (and other concerns) were no object, I might well BUY the LYS. ;)

If money were no object, I might buy a new floor loom, another spinning wheel, a knitting machine... a new home to put it all in. (wait, they don't carry those at the LYS. drat) .... ummmm.... there are always books I am drooling after to add to my library, there are some gorgeous to-die-for expensive yarns I wouldn't mind bringing home in abundance.... or maybe just a basic yarn in *abundance* so that I can dare myself to try a cabled aran sweater just to say I've done it? ... I think I'd make it for Keith rather than for myself, but who knows? ... and workshops. Workshops and classes galore. If time and money were no object. I just love learning new techniques and new approaches and new skills. :)

4. What are some activities that have become family traditions for your family?
That's tough. One family tradition that we started (and then seem to have abandoned) was painting one of those paint-it-yourself ceramic plates together. One for each year. ... we completed one plate and got halfway through a second, but never even started the third. ..I feel sad about it, but maybe one day I will finish them myself just to complete the tradition.

Rennaisance Faire has been a yearly tradition since I met my husband, and I am hoping that we do not have to miss out completely on it this year because of my knee injury and upcoming surgery and recovery. I really like the chance to make the historical (-ly inspired) hand-knit and hand-woven garments, and the opportunity to really show them off in a setting where they will be appreciated.

Norwescon Science-Fiction/Fantasy convention is another yearly tradition. This past April my experience was seriously compromised by my torn knee, but I managed to find enjoyment in it nonetheless.

Visiting each of our family sets once a year (or so) lets us travel to some wonderful locations, and catch up with people we care about. As the family sets grow, though, the timing and frequency become more challenging!

My personal traditions (for travel) include: visiting the LYS's when possible, and spending time at the local public libraries. :) It's wonderful to get a chance to take notes from crafting books that are not carried in the libraries close to home.

5. What is the weather right now?
97 degrees F, partly cloudy in Portland, OR where I am staying with a similarly fiber-obsessed friend. :)
(96.1 degrees F, and clear, at home in Issaquah, WA where I am currently not.)

The house has no air-conditioning, and I am staying up in the attic (heat rises) so it is probably about 85 degrees at the moment, and I am trying to stay cool by drinking ice water and by evaporative cooling from a recent shower (long hair Rocks!) I also have a little portable fan which helps circulate the air a bit.

I should be home again around August 1. I should be able to start posting pictures and knitting content again around then.

hugs all.

2 Comments:

  • At Sat Jul 22, 08:22:00 AM PDT, Blogger Heide said…

    Nice to hear from you Peacock! It reached 97 at our home here in Spanaway (in the shade). Being from Western Washington, this kind of weather always bewilders me a little. Hope you're enjoying your time in Portland. I've heard lovely things about the yarn stores there and then of course there's always Powell's Bookstore. Happy knitting and I hope your knee recovery is progressing well.

     
  • At Mon Jul 24, 01:22:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Peacock: So glad to read your great post tonight. I too have been a little lax in my blog due to summer travels etc. You are sounding good and I am thinking life is going to be taking a good turn for you. The glass is always half full and if you can remember that positive self talk, you will have it made cuz you are certainly bright and capable. I think of you often. I sent you a cool peacock picture the other day, but that's right you are not home now. Well, you can have Keith open it and read it to you. He will probably destroy the picture I sent though. :-) Lu and I are leaving Friday for the annual Garlic Festival in Gilroy, Ca. Since it has been 106 to 113 in the valley, it will really be a hot one. I truly am not terrible excited except that I will be seeing family that I don't often get to hang out with. Take care and know that my thoughts are with you. Love, SP8

     

Post a Comment

<< Home