Another Hobby Blog

Thursday, January 05, 2012

irrelevant chatter: soup

Note to self: when going to the trouble of buying lots of different colored ingredients for a festive soup (green and orange bell peppers, yellow corn, orange carrots, green celery and beans, etc) don't put beets into the pot! argh. I ended up with a bright fuschia soup. When I added the beets, I'd thought I would get a lovely bright fuschia broth with all sorts of festive vegetables floating around in it, but no! of course not. Beet juice stains everything. All the vegetables ended up some variation of fuschia. I'd have known that if I'd have stopped to think about it. Doh!

For the past couple of weeks I have been focusing my time and energy on getting my sewing space cleaned up and organized. This week I get to focus on putting together my first CQJP "block" (wedge shaped). Yay!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At Thu Jan 05, 07:19:00 PM PST, Blogger Momma Bear said…

    oh! oh honey! rookie mistake unless you come from a background of borscht and other such you wouldn't know of the all powerful dying ability of beets!
    pretty but not what you were going for.
    you feeling better?

     
  • At Thu Jan 05, 10:56:00 PM PST, Blogger Peacock said…

    Much better, thank you! I actually got some sewing done today on my CQJP! Maybe I won't fall too far behind after all.

    As for borscht and beets and dyeing, I've made borscht a few times, and I know it always turns pinky/violet (which is a much better color for beef than for chicken, btw!) I've also used beets for dyeing cloth (not colorfast, sadly, but the brownish color you end up with instead is really nice for giving a tea-dyed / aged and weathered look). The fact that I didn't think about that just points to my feeling under the weather.

    Today I ended up adding some cumin and some yellow food coloring and changed the fuschia soup to a more palatable orange.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home