Another Hobby Blog

Thursday, December 08, 2011

CQJP planning progress


Well, I've spent a little time fleshing out my ideas for my CQJP challenge. I really like the idea of creating a CQ peacock, and I've been using my colored pencils to see what kinds of color patterns I might want to use. Here's one that I particularly like so far:
It will be different, of course, when interpreted in cloth, but it gives me an idea of where I might start.

There are giant white circles in each fan wedge for a reason: I am thinking of creating circular beaded motifs to applique on. I made up one sample motif to see how long it might take me (on average) so that I could decide whether or not to also sign up (officially) for the BJP this year. ... but my conscience is warning me that it might be too much of a commitment to tackle BJP as well as CQJP and TAST and SharonB's journal class and everything else that I need to do throughout the year, so if I can keep my impulse under control, then I will just be an UNofficial BJP participant so that I have one element that I can drop without guilt if my schedule gets too crazy.

Today's challenge: tidy my sewing room enough to enjoy working in it and be able to find all the fabrics and components that I might need/want to use!

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At Sat Dec 17, 02:10:00 PM PST, Blogger Carol- Beads and Birds said…

    What a great idea. I have been working on an idea to incorporation all three projects also. Its a challenge I am looking forward to.

     
  • At Mon Dec 19, 10:38:00 AM PST, Blogger Kalona said…

    This looks like a great start!! Look forward to seeing it become a reality. Colours and shapes are interesting and balanced. How big is this going to be? xx

     
  • At Mon Dec 19, 11:44:00 AM PST, Blogger Peacock said…

    Well, in order to qualify for the CQJP, each wedge needs to be a minimum of 36 square inches (e.g. the equivalent of a 6x6 inch square). If I were just making a kaleidoscopic pattern, each wedge would need to be approximately 16 inches long (that stops the wedge a couple of inches short of the center so that I don't need to fuss with the bulk at the wedge points). ...but the twelfth block is going to be the peacock's body, and the body is going to overlap some of the wedges more than it will overlap others, so I think I need to add a couple of inches' length to each wedge to make sure that they still have enough volume even with the overlap.

    (And I wondered what use I would ever have for geometry and trig!)

    So, the rough answer is that each wedge will be about 18 inches long, for a tail-spread at the bottom of the half-circle of about 42 inches (because the 18 inch wedge stops short of the center of the circle). ... but I still need to do a rough mock-up so that I can visualize how it's all going to work. I think I should do that in just plain-cloth wedges at full size since planning time is running short!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home