Another Hobby Blog

Monday, December 19, 2011

Eric's Fan Quilt

Well, instead of sewing, I've been spending all my free time the past couple of weeks cleaning and rearranging my workspace. It's a worthy endeavor, and I am confident that the investment of time and energy in cleaning now will let my creative energy truly blossom in the new year. :)
Unfortunately, somewhere in the rearrangement of piles and boxes and the sorting of fabrics and buttons and threads, I have misplaced my favorite little digital camera! ARGH!! ...so the picture for today will come from archives that I didn't get around to posting when I should have! ;)

My brother came over for Thanksgiving dinner this year, and we got to talking about quilting (he's started doing applique recently, incidentally), and reminiscing in general, and I mentioned that I'd been doing some cleaning and re-organizing, and had happened across a couple of boxes with his name on them. Well, we dug them all out and sorted through them, and among them was this:


It is a queen-sized fan-quilt that I started for my brother in December 1994. If I get it finished by 2014 it will have been 20 years aborning. My brother decided to give me until 2019 to get it finished, just in case. I wonder if I still have all the pattern templates? I wonder if I have enough cloth in the right colors, or if I need to buy more to coordinate? I wonder if I can remember what the plan, exactly, was! I do know it needs a little freshening up (tricky when it's in pieces) and ironing and piecing and more piecing. I will be chipping away at this project throughout 2012 alongside CQJP/BJP/TAST and assorted other obligations.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At Mon Dec 19, 01:50:00 PM PST, Blogger Debra Dixon said…

    I hope your notes are better than mine on old projects!

     
  • At Mon Dec 19, 03:48:00 PM PST, Blogger Peacock said…

    Not really! :P
    I found a crumpled up piece of graph paper that I was apparently using for my fan wedge template. Can you believe it? Graph paper?? Sheesh! I probably used that wedge to cut a template out of cardboard from an old cereal box. That was in the days before I realized that a template cut from a plastic jug would last MUCH longer and would even let me kinda see through to the fabric!
    I have a bunch of scrawled numbers on another sheet of graph paper which may or may not even belong to that project.
    I seem to recall that it was going to be queen-sized, and I definitely recall the intended orientation of the fans (though that could change with my brother's input when we get enough fans put together to start playing around with them). I remember that the fans were going to go onto a black background, and I remember that at the time my brother was dead-set against applique, so the curves of the fans were going to need to be carefully pieced against the curve of the background. I also know that I made one trial block just to be sure I could do it (which got given to my brother during the early planning stages of the quilt).
    When I find my camera again I will take some more pictures of this project and the sorry state that it is in! :)
    My brother's overwhelming response upon seeing it again was, "wow. I didn't remember so much red." ... so hopefully I won't need to go back and remove all the red pieces!
    Anyway, he's still really interested in seeing me complete it, so....
    ...maybe I should have just hidden that box under the bed and pretended to have "lost" it? ;)

     
  • At Sat Dec 24, 11:57:00 AM PST, Blogger Jane said…

    Good luck on finding your camera, LOL.. wow what a project to unearth, the colors are spectacular! I wanted to pop in and wish you a very happy holiday and a super new year.. it's been nice getting to know you through the Tues Stitchers. I need to get back to being a better blogger. I have had some on again off again times with it but find I really miss it. That is one of my resolutions this year. Hope your CQJP is coming along!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home