Another Hobby Blog

Friday, September 30, 2005

Schroedinger's Peacock

In quantum mechanics there is a principle known as Schroedinger's Cat.
I'm not sure I should even try to explain the principle myself!

One element of the principle, however, is that until the observer opens the box, it cannot be determined whether the cat is alive or dead. Actually, it's more complicated than that. The principle says that the cat is in a superposition of states in which it is BOTH alive and dead.

For the span of this past week, I've been experiencing the Schroedinger's paradox with my replacement peacock window. The paradox being that the replacement window simultaneously Does and Does Not exist. It either Is or Is Not in the mail, headed for my house.

It should exist: I placed an order for it and paid for it. I spoke directly to someone who assured me that she had one in stock, and that it would be shipped out the following day.

On the other hand, I had tried to place several orders with other companies before that and each one of those orders had failed because there were no more in stock and they could not be reordered.

The waiting period has been grueling. If it is in the mail, then I shouldn't try to locate yet another one with yet another company because it's bloody well expensive! On the other hand, if it's not in the mail, time and opportunity are quickly running out where finding an alternate is concerned!

Today, I know the answer.

Schroedinger's Peacock exists. :)

Thank you again, Laurie!!! for finding the one company that still had a peacock window in stock!!!

YAY!!

3 Comments:

  • At Fri Sep 30, 09:56:00 PM PDT, Blogger laurie said…

    woooooohoooooooo! *doing the snoopy happy dance*

    i'm soooooo glad it came...have been waiting with bated breath (turning blue after holding it for a week *grin*) to hear if you'd actually gotten it...i know it won't replace the emotional value of the other one...but at least you won't be without one entirely :o)

    psst...put it someplace safe eh? ;o)

     
  • At Sat Oct 01, 10:20:00 AM PDT, Blogger Peacock said…

    Yes, I definitely learned my lesson about safe display options already!! I haven't figured out yet how to display the new one while keeping it safe, but I suspect it involves power tools of some sort!
    As for the emotional value, I think it's increased. It isn't *the* one that my mother gave me, but it still represents that she originally chose it for me, and now it's also infused with all of the caring and support that you (all) gave!

    Plus, now that I have a replacement, I get to start thinking of ways in which I can reclaim the broken shards of the old one. It won't be the same, but I'm planning to have Something at the end of it all.... (grin!)

     
  • At Sat Oct 01, 02:59:00 PM PDT, Blogger laurie said…

    i suppose there might be a possibility (depending on the 'remains' and how much you're willing to fork out) of having it restored...in the search process i did come across a couple of stained glass restorers (though i can't for the life of me remember where now lol)...something to keep in mind :o)

    was just teasing you about keeping it safe ;o) i had the feeling that, given the difficulty in finding a replacement, you would have learned that lesson very well *eep*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home