Another Hobby Blog

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Knee Update: Post Surgery

Yes, they gave me some pain meds: Oxycodone which I can take 1f tab every two hours as needed, plus some tylenol with codeine which I can stack in between the oxycodone if something's really awful. For the most part, it's tapering off quickly. Which is to say I only curse half the alphabet now instead of running through all 26 letters and starting again when I need to limp my way to the restroom. Lying here doing nothing is relatively tolerable. achey, but not exploding pain. Trying to change the compression bandage, on the other hand, is quite a different experience that I would wish on no one.

I've mostly been exhausted. Between the pain killers causing drowsiness and the benadryl causing drowsiness (did I mention I'm having an itch-reaction to the elastic in the compression bandages? ..the same reason I do not wear elasticized thigh-highs no matter how cute they look.) I have been too exhausted to do much of anything- too exhausted to read e-mail or update blog posts, too exhausted to help put together a puzzle, too exhausted even to knit! argh. But I have been able to sleep.

Sleep is a real blessing- in sleep I rarely notice the pain from my knee. .. except when I jolt awake, straining every injured tissue in that poor knee! Jolting awake happens about every two hours. Just in time to take my next pain killer, really.

Remember--I did not take *any* painkillers with the initial injury until it actually got diagnosed 7 weeks after the injury occurred. Numbness and shock were my painkillers of choice then, and I think they'd do a better job now, if I could figure out a way to activate them instead! .. it's no wonder most people go straight to the doctor when some sort of strain occurrs. .. If they have to endure the initial pain the way I'm enduring this pain, it's no wonder at all. Ouch.

D'y'know that pain tolerance evidentally runs in my family? I don't recall what my mother said about her own incidents, but I do remember what she told me about her father (my grandfather). Grandfather evidentally was standing in the wrong place behind the car when grandmother was backing out to take everyone for dinner. Grandfather got his leg run over. (upper thigh, I believe), and insisted that he would NOT go to the hospital for treatment, he wanted to go to dinner. And that was that. The tire imprint, I am told, was still visible on his leg three weeks later.

Well, anyway.. I don't want to be making anyone sick with these posts. I'm doing okay. There is pain, but for the most part it is manageable, and it is fading. I can move my ankle today. :) I have a new, clean dressing. :) I knitted a few rows. :) :)

Actually, I discovered that while the pain is high and the drugs are in my system, teensy little size 0 sock needles are not the kindest friends. So I've got Indie's sock yarn on those, but I've also cast on the Noro from my SP6 spoiler! I've started out making a basic garter-stitch shawl, with some basic interest coming from how the increases are made. Size ten needles! woohoo!

Also, a big thank you to my August Sock Yarn swap pal! :) She sent me a beautiful ocelot-colored yarn and an ocelot-fabric drawstring bag to carry it in! :) Oh, how I can hardly wait to get started with it as well!!

I had been hoping to enter some exhibits in the state fair this year, but with the knee injury and surgery, I didn't have time to do so. :( I guess I wait for next year instead.

Thank you everyone for your enduring support and encouragement. :) Every single comment or e-mail is treasured and helps me get well sooner. :)

hugs all. Must sleep again.


  • At Sun Aug 20, 09:07:00 PM PDT, Blogger 'Zann said…

    Just checking in to see how you're doing. Hope the pain is starting to ease up more and more. Sleep is good.
    Sweet dreams!


Post a Comment

<< Home