Another Hobby Blog

Monday, September 25, 2006

OFFF 2006

It turns out I did not manage to fully avoid the siren-song of Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival after all. Fran (who lives in Portland) was going and really put the enthusiasm back into it all... I wasn't sure I'd really get to enjoy it much, but I knew I'd regret not having tried. So I went. Not only did I get to spend some more time with Fran (another devoted fiberholic who (sadly) does not have a blog), but I also got to see Greg and Ona again! (two more devoted fiberholics who carry their passion so far as to own sheep and to teach spinning at the Renaissance Fairs (which is why I ended up at Shrewsbury Fair-- it's Greg and Ona's fabulous booth that I was helping to run.) )

Actually... it's a little bit longer story than that..

See, I returned Cinnamon (the bunny I had borrowed from Fran for almost a month) two weeks ago when we went down for Shrewsbury Fair. Portland's heatwave had really only lasted a week or two, and Fran was really missing her bunny. I figured I'd be fine for awhile in a non-pet household. .. .. ..

I really want a pomeranian, y'see, but I don't want to just get *any* pom, I have certain specifications I'm looking for, and I haven't found the *right* pom yet. I thought I'd be able to just bide my time without any critters around while I looked for my perfect pom.

I was wrong.

no puppy yet, but I just couldn't resist getting some sort of furry friend to keep me company these days.

So I went down to OFFF on a bunny-search. (Keith drove.. long distances in a car are still really unpleasant for me--the vibrations of the car just ste my knee to aching miserably.)

Turns out I didn't stay long.. I bailed out of OFFF before the end of the first day. I only saw maybe 1/4 of the vendors' booths, but that was enough to cost me a penny or two and laden me down with: a bundle of back-issue Spin-Offs, a skein or two of yarn for the holidays, a fabulous scarf you will just have to see to believe! (pictures later.. I haven't unpacked yet), and a couple of new patterns to dream about knitting up. :)

And a bunny.

I thought I'd get a huge, fluffy, fiber-producing, potential breeding-stock doe angora.

This is what I got instead:





He's a runty little black angora male (25% German, 75% French). His brothers are twice his size with four times as much fur. He's underweight, undersize, under-furred, and has been described as a "failure-to-thrive" baby who has been on his deathbed several times throughout his early life, and may not have a very long life ahead of him. It is unknown whether his failure-to-thrive might be due to some sort of internal-organ defect that might just plain kill him without warning some day. He doesn't have his balls yet and possibly never will.. he may never develop a proper coat of fur, and he may never be able to breed.

But he is the sweetest little fellow ever! He is very calm, very patient, very inquisitive, very gentle, and just the most perfect personality you could ask for in a companion critter. :)

Because he's not currently a fiber producer (and maybe never will be) and might never sire a litter of pups, I got him for a bargain!

His name (for the moment at least) is: "Peacock's Priceless Puffball" .. or "Freebie" for short. ;)

4 Comments:

  • At Tue Sep 26, 02:16:00 PM PDT, Blogger Mia said…

    He's the sweetest little bunny ever! In terms of survival/fur production, I wouldn't count him out yet. Runts can surprise you :)

     
  • At Thu Sep 28, 06:51:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe.... he just needed to be loved by someone who looks at him and see's all his positive traits.

    Yep. Thats it. He found his Mom...

    So very sweet - I'm smitten!

     
  • At Thu Sep 28, 09:27:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lacy Zigzag said…

    I think he will do wonderful with you. He will know he is number one since you have him and none of the others. I feel like he will be quite happy and hopefully catch up with the extra love you will be giving him.

     
  • At Thu Oct 05, 03:27:00 PM PDT, Blogger Paula said…

    What an adorable fiber bunny!
    I have a zoo now because of little failure to thrive beings that ended up thriving very well!!!
    ours just needs a little bit of love and he will be the healthiest of all bunnies! (or at least the most cared for!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home